Tesla secures land for Shanghai factory, first outside US

Tesla secures land for Shanghai factory, first outside US

Interested in Tesla?

Add Tesla as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Tesla news, video, and analysis from ABC News.

Electric auto brand Tesla Inc. said it signed an agreement Wednesday to secure land in Shanghai for its first factory outside the United States, pushing ahead with development despite mounting U.S.-Chinese trade tensions.

Tesla, based on Palo Alto, California, announced plans for the Shanghai factory in July after the Chinese government said it would end restrictions on full foreign ownership of electric vehicle makers to speed up industry development.

Those plans have gone ahead despite tariff hikes by Washington and Beijing on billions of dollars of each other’s goods in a dispute over Chinese technology policy. U.S. imports targeted by Beijing’s penalties include electric cars.

China is the biggest global electric vehicle market and Tesla’s second-largest after the United States.

Tesla joins global automakers including General Motors Co., Volkswagen AG and Nissan Motor Corp. that are pouring billions of dollars into manufacturing electric vehicles in China.

Local production would eliminate risks from tariffs and other import controls. It would help Tesla develop parts suppliers to support after service and make its vehicles more appealing to mainstream Chinese buyers.

Tesla said it signed a “land transfer agreement” on a 210-acre (84-hectare) site in the Lingang district in southeastern Shanghai.

That is “an important milestone for what will be our next advanced, sustainably developed manufacturing site,” Tesla’s vice president of worldwide sales, Robin Ren, said in a statement.

Shanghai is a center of China’s auto industry and home to state-owned Shanghai Automotive Industries Corp., the main local manufacturer for GM and VW.

Tesla said earlier that production in Shanghai would begin two to three years after construction of the factory begins and eventually increase to 500,000 vehicles annually.

Tesla has yet to say how it will pay for the Shanghai factory. The company has yet to give a price tag but the Shanghai government said it would be the biggest foreign investment there to date.

Tesla’s $5 billion Nevada battery factory was financed with help from a $1.6 billion investment by battery maker Panasonic Corp.

Analysts expect Tesla to report a loss of about $200 million for the three months ending Sept. 30 following the previous quarter’s $742.7 million loss. Its CEO Elon Musk said in a Sept. 30 letter to U.S. securities regulators that the company is “very close to achieving profitability.”

Tesla’s estimated sales in China of under 15,000 vehicles in 2017 gave it a market share of less than 3 percent.

The company faces competition from Chinese brands including BYD Auto and BAIC Group that already sell tens of thousands of hybrid and pure-electric sedans and SUVs annually.

Until now, foreign automakers that wanted to manufacture in China were required to work through state-owned partners. Foreign brands balked at bringing electric vehicle technology into China to avoid having to share it with potential future competitors.

The first of the new electric models being developed by global automakers to hit the market, Nissan’s Sylphy Zero Emission, began rolling off a production line in southern China in August.

Lower-priced electric models from GM, Volkswagen and other global brands are due to hit the market starting this year, well before Tesla is up and running in Shanghai.

Read More

Pippa Middleton gives birth to her first child

Pippa Middleton gives birth to her first child

Posted

October 17, 2018 08:07:58

Pippa Middleton, the younger sister of Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge, has given birth to her first child, a boy.

Ms Middleton, 35, first came to public attention when she acted as maid of honour at the 2011 wedding of her sister Kate to Prince William, who is second in line to the British throne.

A spokesman for Prince William and Kate Middleton said they were “thrilled” for Pippa and her husband.

Ms Middleton married financier James Matthews last year.

The new baby will be a cousin to William and Kate’s three children — George, 5, Charlotte, 3, and 5-month-old Louis.

The baby was born yesterday, on the day the palace announced that Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, are expecting their first child.

The pair are in Australia for the Invictus games and are set to visit the New South Wales town of Dubbo today to meet with the Royal Flying Doctor Service and farmers struggling with persistent drought.

ABC/wires

Topics:

royal-and-imperial-matters,

human-interest,

united-kingdom

Read More

Lyon takes four wickets in six deliveries in first day against Pakistan

Lyon takes four wickets in six deliveries in first day against Pakistan

Updated

October 17, 2018 02:21:09

Pakistan recovered from 5-57 to post 282 and take two cheap Australia wickets on a compelling first day of the second cricket test on Tuesday.

Nathan Lyon took four wickets in six deliveries to embarrass Pakistan in the morning, but newcomer Fakhar Zaman and captain Sarfraz Ahmed led the rescue with identical scores of 94 runs each before both were dismissed by part-time legspinner Marnus Labuschagne.

Seamer Mohammad Abbas then put Pakistan on top at the end of the day by dismissing Usman Khawaja for three and nightwatchman Peter Siddle for four on the last ball of the day to leave Australia 20-2 in reply. Aaron Finch was 13 not out.

Australia rallied to draw a thrilling first test in Dubai by batting out the last day and surviving with two wickets left.

The visitors started this test in equal fashion with a stunning 11-minute period by offspinner Lyon.

He took a return catch to remove Azhar Ali on 15 and then dismissed Haris Sohail, Asad Shafiq, and Babar Azam all without scoring.

Pakistan was in a reasonable position at 57-1 after winning the toss, but the Australia spinners were threatening.

Then the threat became reality. Lyon took the wickets of Ali and Sohail on consecutive balls to end his fourth over, the 20th of the innings.

Shafiq blocked the hat-trick ball, the first ball of the 22nd over, but got a faint inside edge to Lyon’s subsequent delivery and was caught at bat-pad by Labuschagne after a successful decision review by the Australians.

Lyon struck again two balls later. In the process, Lyon surpassed former paceman Mitchell Johnson to move to fourth on Australia’s list of all-time leading wicket-takers with 314. At tea, he had 4-58.

Pakistan’s perilous position could have been worse. Zaman survived being dropped on 30 by Labuschagne off an irked Jon Holland, and later a close run out.

Labuschagne earlier brought off a sensational catch close to the wicket to dismiss opener Mohammad Hafeez for four in Mitchell Starc’s second over, before Zaman and Ali shared a half-century stand for the second wicket.

After crashing to 57-5 in the first session, Pakistan outsmarted Australia in the second session through Zaman and Ahmed as they scored 127 runs.

Zaman scored nearly three quarters of his runs on the offside, hitting eight fours and a six in his 198-ball knock.

He was six runs from a century on debut when Labuschagne, not given a bowl until just before tea, trapped Zaman leg before wicket on the stroke of tea. It ended a remarkable 147-run, sixth-wicket stand lasting 37 overs.

Ahmed was by far more aggressive, and kept the scoreboard moving with constant rotation of the strike before his 129-ball knock was ended in which he hit seven boundaries.

He tried an ambitious big hit to raise his hundred but sliced a catch to Siddle and missed out on his first century in four years.

Yasir Shah lifted the total with a breezy 28 before Pakistan was all out.

Pakistan made two changes to the lineup that started in Dubai, giving Zaman and left-arm seamer Mir Hamza test debuts as replacements for Imam-ul-Haq and Wahab Riaz.

Hamza bowled one over late in the day, but Abbas got both strikes, getting Khawaja caught behind down the leg side for his 50th test wicket, and trapping Siddle.

AP

Topics:

sport,

cricket,

united-arab-emirates,

australia,

pakistan

First posted

October 16, 2018 16:35:22

Read More

US puts sanctions on Venezuela first lady, other officials

US puts sanctions on Venezuela first lady, other officials

Interested in Venezuela?

Add Venezuela as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Venezuela news, video, and analysis from ABC News.

The Trump administration on Tuesday slapped financial sanctions on four members of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s inner circle, including his wife and the nation’s vice president, on allegations of corruption.  

As part of the actions, the U.S. barred Americans from doing business with and will seize any financial assets in the U.S. belonging to First Lady Cilia Flores, Vice President Delcy Rodriguez, Communications Minister Jorge Rodriguez and Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino.

“We are continuing to designate loyalists who enable Maduro to solidify his hold on the military and the government while the Venezuelan people suffer,” Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin said in a statement. “Treasury will continue to impose a financial toll on those responsible for Venezuela’s tragic decline, and the networks and front-men they use to mask their illicit wealth.”

Over the past two years the Trump administration has sanctioned dozens of individuals, including Maduro himself, on allegations of corruption, drug trafficking and human rights abuses.

But until now it had spared key leaders like Delcy Rodriguez, as well as the U.S.-trained Padrino, believing they occupy seats of power and could play a key role in an eventual transition.

David Smilde, a Tulane University professor who has spent more than two decades living and working in Venezuela, said Tuesday’s actions would seem to suggest the U.S. has given up trying to sow division within the government in the hopes it could force a democratic transition from within.

“This clearly breaks from that strategy, said Smilde. “If everyone is sanctioned then it could end up uniting the government.”

Trump, arriving at the United Nations General Assembly before his speech Tuesday, said Venezuela is “a very sad case and we want to see it fixed. What’s happening there is a human tragedy.”

But beyond rallying Maduro’s opponents, it’s unclear what impact the sanctions will have.

For over a year, top U.S. officials have struggled to build support for more sweeping oil sanctions, facing resistance from energy companies still active in the country and fearing it could tip the OPEC nation over the edge at a time of hyperinflation and widespread food and medicine shortages.

As part of the actions announced Tuesday, the Treasury Department also seized a $20 million private jet belonging to an alleged front man for powerful socialist party boss Diosdado Cabello.

Read More

11-year-old boy injured playing soccer in the Gaza Strip takes first steps in US

11-year-old boy injured playing soccer in the Gaza Strip takes first steps in US

An 11-year-old boy, who was brought from Palestine after he was injured while playing soccer in the Gaza Strip, is learning to walk again.

Abdulrahman Abood Nofal took his first steps Wednesday in Ohio, where he’s been receiving treatment since his injuries.

“Yesterday, he was able to put the prosthetic on and take his first steps,” Abdulrahman’s host, Yousef Mousa, told ABC News.

In April, Abdulrahman was playing soccer with his friends near the Gaza border when a protest took place.

“The ball got near the border, and he went to grab it,” Mousa said. “On his way back, there was a lot of tear gas and two shots. One of those shots landed in his leg below the knee.”

The leg was removed “because there was too much damage,” according to Mousa.

PHOTO: Abdulrahman Abood Nofal, 11, lost his leg after he was injured while attempting to retrieve a soccer ball from the scene of a protest in the Gaza Strip. He was brought to Canton, Ohio by a charity to receive a prosthetic and physical therapy.WEWS
Abdulrahman Abood Nofal, 11, lost his leg after he was injured while attempting to retrieve a soccer ball from the scene of a protest in the Gaza Strip. He was brought to Canton, Ohio by a charity to receive a prosthetic and physical therapy.

Three weeks ago, Abdulrahman was brought to the U.S. to get better medical assistance with his injury, and Steve Sosebee, the founder of the charitable organization Palestine Children’s Relief Fund (PCRF) — which brings sick children from the Middle East to the U.S. for free medical treatment — was able to help the young boy.

“After he was injured, he was taken to a hospital in Gaza and then to the West Bank but they were not able to save his leg,” Sosebee told ABC News.

“Nofal came with a doctor who was volunteering with us in Gaza to the United States,” Sosebee said, “he stayed with me and my family for two weeks.”

Yanke Bionics, an orthopedic and prosthetic services provider in Ohio, provided Abdulrahman with a prosthetic and free treatment, ABC affiliate WEWS-TV in Clevland reported.

PHOTO: Abdulrahman Abood Nofal, 11, lost his leg after he was injured while attempting to retrieve a soccer ball from the scene of a protest in the Gaza Strip. He was brought to Canton, Ohio by a charity to receive a prosthetic and physical therapy.WEWS
Abdulrahman Abood Nofal, 11, lost his leg after he was injured while attempting to retrieve a soccer ball from the scene of a protest in the Gaza Strip. He was brought to Canton, Ohio by a charity to receive a prosthetic and physical therapy.

“He has done phenomenal,” Renee Horn with Yanke Bionics told WEWS-TV referring to Abdulrahman and his prosthetic.

After spending two weeks staying with Sosebee, Abdulrahman now stays with Mousa’s family, goes to school and has been learning to walk.

“He’s doing great. He’s in school,” Mousa, who volunteers for Palestine Children’s Relief Fund, told ABC News. “He likes swimming a lot. He’s actually a good swimmer.”

Mousa, who met Abdulrahman through his internship work with Palestine Children’s Relief Fund, calls Abdulrahman his “little brother,” adding that he took him in because “he’s a child from where I am from Palestine.”

PHOTO: Abdulrahman Abood Nofal, 11, lost his leg after he was injured while attempting to retrieve a soccer ball from the scene of a protest in the Gaza Strip. He was brought to Canton, Ohio by a charity to receive a prosthetic and physical therapy.WEWS
Abdulrahman Abood Nofal, 11, lost his leg after he was injured while attempting to retrieve a soccer ball from the scene of a protest in the Gaza Strip. He was brought to Canton, Ohio by a charity to receive a prosthetic and physical therapy.

Now, Abdulrahman is excited about life, Mousa added.

“Even though he’s injured he still loves life,” Mousa said. “He loves to play and move around, even with crutches. It is inspirational to see that.”

Read More